SB Nation (Sports Blogs Nation), the leading network of owned and operated sports-focused web communities, offering the highest quality content, conversations and applications to an audience of over 2.3 million (and growing) passionate sports fans around the world, is seeking an outstanding developer.
You'll join our small product team and participate in every phase of the development cycle, from feature design, prototyping, and technical architecture to development, deployment, and maintenance. Primarily, you'll be coding a Ruby on Rails application backed by a MySQL database and running on Linux servers.
You're a friendly, creative, and pragmatic problem-solver who's passionate about developing elegant solutions and awesome user experiences. You also:
- Have extensive experience building high-traffic web applications, writing complex and efficient SQL queries, profiling and optimizing code, and devising and implementing caching strategies
- Love writing unit tests and using source control & bug tracking systems
- Know your way around *nix operating systems
- Communicate well
- Have a solid grounding in object-oriented programming and fundamental computer science concepts such as concurrency, complexity theory, and algorithms & data structures
Ideally, you also have:
- Built and deployed into production a non-trivial Rails application
- Worked on small development teams and with remote team members
- Experience building Ajax/DHTML interfaces using the Prototype framework
- Experience using a variety of programming languages and frameworks
- Experience managing MySQL servers (maintenance, replication, tuning, etc.)
- Experience managing web or application servers (configuring and tuning any of these: Apache, Mongrel, Nginx, Lighttpd)
- Experience in sports media, passionate fan of sports or actively play sports yourself
This is a permanent position with full benefits based in our Washington, DC office (currently a sweet loft space in Chinatown), but we're also considering remote candidates (part of the existing team is remote). Remote candidates must be able to travel to DC from time to time for meetings, product design session, etc. Salary commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send your resume to email@example.com.